Tracy Osborne Award
Dr. Tracy Osborne was one of the founding members of the Nebraska Medical Directors Association (NMDA). He served as President of the organization and was an active board member, nationally representing the interests of Nebraska Medical Directors. Dr. Osborne valued education, seeking knowledge through regular attendance of the educational sessions of the American Medical Directors Association. He returned to the University of Nebraska Medical Center to complete a fellowship in Geriatric Medicine after many years in private practice. Dr. Osborne studied the role of ethics committees in nursing homes in the United States. To honor his interest in improving the care of nursing home residents and the recruitment of physicians to nursing home care, NMDA has developed the Tracy Osborne Award.
The NMDA will annually award a one-year membership to NMDA, a scholarship to attend the annual educational meeting of the NMDA (September 22, 2010 ~ Lincoln, NE), and a stipend (up to $2,000) to offset the cost of attending the annual American Medical Directors Association meeting (March 24-27, 2011 ~ Tampa, Florida). This award will be presented to a physician, house officer, fellow, or resident who has shown an interest in pursuing a career, including long-term care.
The competition is open to all:
• Nebraska physicians within 3 years of entering practice
• Residents or fellows in accredited training programs with intention to practice in Nebraska
Applications must include the following:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Letter of interest, no more than 250 words, describing your interest in long-term care practice and why you feel you will benefit from participating in this program
• Two letters of recommendation
• Application must be submitted by August 23, 2010
Review criteria will include
• Qualifications of the applicant, letters of reference
• Applicant’s interest in providing care in the long term care setting
The award winner will be notified no later than September 1, 2010 and will receive the award at the Awards Banquet at the NMDA Annual Educational Meeting on September 22, 2010, in Lincoln, NE.